Saturday, March 13, 2010

Still Here

I apologize for the lack of blogging lately... I've been too caught up in things to get a chance to sit down and post. I've been pretty sick over the past week, I've had assignments for class due, midterm exams, and I also had a death in the family... So to be honest I haven't really thought much about this blog, but I've been watching every Sabres game.

The Sabres got back on track with a win in New York and another at home against Dallas, but couldn't get the W against the Wild last night...

Have to say that I've been impressed with Vanek lately. He's been one of the more frustrating players to watch this season, and it's good to see him finally putting some pucks in the net, instead of watching him miss great chances or elect not to shoot when he probably should have. Seems like it's a confidence thing with Thomas, so maybe him scoring a few goals will help him out.

I liked the way Mancari has looked, I know for him he's got a lot to prove if he wants to finally make the jump to the NHL, and his recent stint here was pretty impressive. Although now that Gaustad has been activated back to the roster, Mancari has to go back to Portland. Sort of bummed, I was interested to see what else he could have done with us down the stretch. But it's good that the Goose is back.

It's pretty crazy that ME, of all people, hasn't really commented on the recent magical Ryan Miller media tour that occured last Monday in NYC. Well what can I say? It's very cool to see Ryan getting all this attention and I'm very proud of how he's handled all of it. The Olympics were surreal, and now that they're over it's still awesome seeing different media outlets interested in him. I don't know if the NHL could find a better representative than Ryan Miller. He's smart, articulate, thoughtful, humble, and genuine. I think Buffalonians have known this for a long time, so it's nice to see other people taking notice. I thought he did a great job on the Today Show. I would consider him an "adopted Buffalonian", so I feel as though he's not only representing the NHL, but he's also representing Buffalo in a way. It's refreshing seeing how many people are taking an interest into him, and I think Buffalonians should feel a little bit of pride knowing that he's a guy who really likes it here and has embraced our community. I think the coolest thing so far about Miller's recent celebrity was that Elton John wanted to meet him before his concert with Billy Joel earlier last week. Now that is cool...

I was glad that The Buffalo News gave us an update on how Mike Robitaille is doing... I have been worried about him. Sounds like he's got quite the recovery ahead of him, but he seems to be in good spirits which is good. I've liked Danny Gare on the broadcasts, but I've missed Robi. Hope to see him back with Kevin Sylvester soon.

So the Sabres take on the Red Wings in Detroit tonight. I actually wanted to go to this game because it would have been neat to see Ryan and his brother Drew play against each other...but things came up that I mentioned earlier and I wasn't able to make it out to Detroit. I'm actually not even going to be able to watch this game because my job is going to be short staffed tonight, and even though I don't work Saturday nights I'm coming in as a favor... I sort of made a deal that if I can came in tonight that I would have Sunday off so I could spend the day downtown for all the St. Patrick's Day festivities...seems like a decent trade off.

I'm aware that this post is sort of all over the place and it doesn't really "flow", but whatever. That's just what has been on my mind and I haven't had a chance to blog about it. I'm actually working on a post right now about our goaltending situation... It's going to be full of fun stats and numbers and I'm not really sure where I'm going with it at the moment, but it's been something that I've been thinking about for a while so I decided to do some researching. So stay tuned for that...

No comments: