Wednesday, June 23, 2010

NHL Awards Are A Go!

In the offseason, you take what you can get... There are three important events that occur in the NHL's offseason: the NHL Awards, the draft, and free agency. If you're more interested in what your favorite team's management intends on doing to try and improve your favorite team in the immediate future and down the road in the years to come, then free agency and the draft is probably your favorite part of the offseason. If watching NHLers stroll down the red carpet pretending they're attending the Oscars and then watching them awkwardly accept awards onstage, then the NHL Awards is probably the most exciting time in the offseason for you. Well where do I stand? I think the answer is obvious...

I actually have to admit that I've never really watched the NHL Awards before. I've seen the pictures of the NHLers looking all snazzy on the red carpet wearing their tuxes with their hot dates or their families...and obviously I've paid attention to who the winners were, but I never really sat down and watched them on TV. But that has all changed now that my favorite 19-year-old 6-foot-8 rookie defenseman and my favorite wonky eyebrowed goalie are up for awards!

Tyler Myers is up for the Calder... Look, if I really wanted to break it down as to why I think Tyler should win, I really could... But I feel like if you're reading this blog then you've probably read arguments for and against Myers all over the place. To sum it up... Tyler Myers was NINETEEN YEARS OLD in the beginning of the 09-10 season without having played in A SINGLE NHL GAME PRIOR. Now bearing that in mind, now take a look at his STATS. I rest my case.

Now...onto my favorite...the main reason why I am so excited for the Awards because it should be a big night for my main main, Mr. Miller. I know falling short in the playoffs was disappointing, but despite that, this season was so much fun for me to watch because Ryan really became a household name and showcased his talent to people all around the world in the Olympics. It really was Ryan's year and he is getting some recognition for it by being nominated for three awards in the NHL. Everyone knows that he's nominated for the Vezina, but he is also nominated for the Bridgestone Messier Leadership Award and the NHL Foundation Award. I think Sabres fans are well aware of Miller's role he plays as a leader on the Sabres and all he does for the WNY community off the ice with his Steadfast Foundation, so it's really nice to see that he's nominated for these two awards and it would be great to see him win.

Obviously, the most important award for him would be the Vezina... I always knew Ryan was capable of being a Vezina candidate, and I would be overjoyed to see him get it. Bryzgalov had a spectacular season too, but I just feel like this is Ryan's award (I'm not even going to bring up Brodeur because I feel like he was just nominated as a filler. It's really between Miller and Bryzgalov). Not only did he have a phenomenal NHL season, but his Olympic run was nothing short of amazing... I know the Olympics shouldn't play into who wins these awards as they weren't NHL games, but let's be real here...they are going to be a factor and I don't have a problem with that because it directly benefits Ryan's chances at winning Ryan's performance in the Olympics benefitted the NHL even though they weren't NHL games.

Honestly, if Ryan doesn't win the Vezina I'm going to have to go all Kanye on their asses. I'll get onstage and be like, "Yo Ilya I'mma let you finish...but Ryan Miller had the best 09-10 season of all time. OF ALL TIME!"


Let's hope it doesn't have to come to this.

The festivities start tomorrow... I'll be sure to report back with everything that happens. And by everything I mean what happens to Tyler Myers and Ryan Miller. Eff everyone else. Especially you stupid Hart Trophy nominees... RYAN MILLER HAD THE BEST 09-10 REGULAR SEASON MVP PERFORMANCE OF ALL TIME... OF ALL TIME!

2 comments:

Becky said...

I started reading your blog earlier this year when I hopped on the Sabres bandwagon and I think you are really funny! This post however, and the picture might be your best yet. I didn't think you could top the Miller-Jesus pic!

Caroline said...

Aw thanks Becky! I'm glad that I can make you laugh.