Over the years, there are certain things you notice when watching hockey either on TV or when you're at the game. Some of these things can be noted at any sporting event, while others are only found in hockey. I've compiled a list of things that really bother me while watching hockey and also a list of things that I love to see while watching the sport.
Most of the things aren't necessarily about the sport itself, but more the things that go along with watching the sport from a fan's perspective. I've left out the fairly obvious things that go without saying (sick saves/goals, seeing my team win, bad officiating, seeing my team lose, etc. etc.). Feel free to add your own.
Things I Hate:
- Airhorns...the ones that are supposed to encourage the fans to chant their team's cheer. It seems in Calgary its airhorn is played for literally the entire game. I can't stand it.
- Pink jerseys...they're stupid.
- Unnecessary long goal horns. The one in Pittsburgh always seems to last way too long.
- People banging on the glass. Probably my biggest annoyance. People look like morons when they do it. Are they for real trying to get the player off his game? Do you really think Chris Pronger is going to turn around and say, "Can you please refrain from banging on the glass? It's really bothering me, thanks." The players probably can't even hear it.
- People turning around and standing up to wave at the camera when the play is near their seat. Congratulations, you're on TV.
- That blonde chick from Versus interviewing players/coaches on the bench during play.
- Fans at games who don't know what the hell they are talking about.
- Chanting a goalie's name. I've never been a big fan of it at all. I find it classless. Even when Sabres fans would get all over Emery, I still didn't enjoy it.
- Fans who boo obvious calls against their team. Sometimes it's habitual to boo a call in hockey, but when it's a blatant call, then just deal with it.
- Maple Leafs fans
- The Rangers' goal song.
- Zombie Nation.
- Fans who actually believe they can play better hockey than some of the players on the ice. Yeah, keep telling yourself that. While those "bums" are competiting in the NHL you'll be sitting in your cubicle at your 9-5 job playing armchair GM for your fantasy hockey team.
- The Hockey Night in Canada theme song on TSN. It just doesn't seem right for it to be on TSN now. At least we can still hear it and it's not gone from television forever, but it's still strange.
Things I Love:
- The Hockey Night in Canada theme song played on Hockey Night in Canada.
- The sounds of hockey. The sounds of the puck hitting the stick, the sounds of the players skating, the sounds of a pad save, the sounds of the puck going off the post, the sounds of the buzzer (a real buzzer...like the one at MSG).
- Playoff beards!
- Snarky and sassy post-game interviews.
- The organ...classic.
- The sight of fans trying to get Sabretooth (or any other mascot in a different arena) to launch the free XXL t-shirts in their section.
- Sloppy drunk fans.
- Don Cherry's suits.
- Thick accents and broken English.
- The unique names.
- Picking up on some of the player's superstitions and quirks.
- Goalie fights.
- When players chip pucks over the glass for young fans.
- Players who almost always touch young fans' hands when they are entering/exiting their tunnel.
- Sweet Caroline.
- The Sedin Twins' coordinating facial hair.
I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of at the moment. I don't really want to go in depth about the playoffs, but seriously, how crazy are they right now? It only seems fitting that the Caps-Pens series is going to 7 games, it's just one hell of a match-up. Both Crosby and Ovechkin are showing why they're considered the best players in the league right now. The Canucks-'Hawks game was a doozy. I don't think anyone anticipated the crazy 3rd period. I think a lot of fans are a little surprised and definitely disappointed in Luongo's performance. I understand that many fans are very frustrated and pissed off, that certainly wasn't what they expected out of their franchise goaltender (and captain). But a series does not define a goaltender, and I think once people calm down they will realize the type of goaltender that Luongo really is. And of course I have mention our hometown boy, Pat Kane getting himself a hat trick to seal the win for the 'Hawks. Congratulations to him.
I'm sure everyone is already aware that the Sabres inked defenseman Tyler Myers to a 3-year entry level deal. Awesome. I've been casually keeping track of his play in Kelowna, and he's got a very promising future ahead and it's nice to see him take one step closer to the Sabres by signing this deal. The picture of him standing next to the Sabres Brass on Draft Day reminds me of the time when I saw the tallest guy I've ever seen in person at the Galleria last year. The dude had to be at least 7'6. I'm not exaggerating either.
Today I had a history final early in the morning (by early I mean 7:40 AM...yikes.) and now I am finished with school! Hellooooo, summer. Lookin' good.