Sunday, March 1, 2009

Well...

I think it's safe to say that this team is in trouble. Losing to the Islanders? Not even losing, but being shutout? Terrible. Look, I know on any given night any team can beat any other team, despite their records, but...this is the Islanders. We are better than them, aren't we? It's not like they dominated us, far from it...but good god. I said before this game that if they lose then I am going to be very concerned. As Tim Gunn would say, this worries me. Um...at least Florida and Carolina lost? Yay? For some reason that does not comfort me in the least. Not when your team just got shutout by the ISLANDERS. Shit, if coaches always get canned after their team loses to the Maple Leafs, then where does that leave us?

Oh and can we please buy this guy a win? What the hell is he going to have to do to get another W in his record? Score a hat-trick? Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Look Sabres, if you don't give a shit about remaining in the top-8, the least you could do is win for your backup goalie whose been playing great.


Look at that face, tell me you don't want to see him skate off the ice victorious at least a few more times this season?

In other news, Maxim Afinogenov is claiming that he's been ready to go since the middle of February, but he's just been a healthy scratch since then. Surprised? It seems as though he's been on the trading block for quite some time now, there have just been no takers. Poor Max. I really wish him success, whether he's on the Sabres or not. I've always liked Max and it's a shame that it's never really worked out for him here.

And in MORE news...Ryan Miller's left ankle...oh wait. There hasn't been any news :(. I am really anxiously awaiting to hear ANY update. I don't even need a time-table, just something. You should see me when I get any wiff of an "update". Paul Hamilton yesterday said on the radio that he saw Ryan running around in the locker room wearing sweats which might imply that he's doing off-ice workouts. I was all,
"RUNNING?! Where you using that figuratively or was he for real running? DON'T LEAVE ME HANGING PAUL, TELL ME." Of course, running around in sweats is a lot different than playing goal in the NHL, so even if we was running that doesn't imply that he's ready to return soon...but still. I need to know these things. I propose that they launch a website called www.ryanmillersleftankle.com and they update us hourly daily on what's going on. I mean, we all know that Thomas Vanek's jaw was wired shut and he had a diet consisting of only SOUP, yet we can't find any more news on Ryan's sprained ankle? Blasphemy.

On a lighter note...I just bought tickets to see No Doubt this summer at Darien Lake. You guys have no idea how excited I am. They've been my favorite band since I was a kid and I've never seen them live. I've seen Gwen Stefani live twice but of course that's not the same. I wasn't expecting No Doubt to come to Buffalo/Darien Lake, but I was pretty sure they'd come to Toronto (which they are) so I was banking on that. But I was very thrilled to see that they are coming here! And tickets here are cheaper than the Toronto show so that's a nice incentive. I used to go to shows all the time but for some reason I haven't been to many at all this past year. The last one I went to was Lollapalooza (an awesome music festival) this past August in Chicago. Which was awesome and I plan on attending this summer as well.

Brand New is headlining UB's Spring Fest this year and I am very excited for that. I've seen Brand New twice and they're pretty good live. Albeit, they kind of come off as jerks, but I like them for their music and not for their personalities so I guess it doesn't matter. I've seen them at the Town Ballroom a few years ago and they played a very long set so that was nice. I then saw them at Lollapalooza last summer and they were being a little pissy because they knew that half of the audience were Rage Against The Machine fans just getting to the stage early to ensure they got a good spot once RATM took the stage. But I do have to say that I think RATM was the best show I've ever seen. They were great. Partly because I've loved them for so long and I never thought I'd get to see them live, so I really cherished the fact that I was watching them perform live. Live music is the best. I wanted to see Kings Of Leon in Toronto this April, but I think the tickets have sold out. My cousin told me that they always sell out fast. They seem like they'd be a great band to see live though. Maybe they'll be at Lollapalooza this summer, who knows.

13 comments:

Shelby said...

I will pay the Sabres millions and put myself in a shitload of debt just so that they can get a win for Patty. Seriously, what has to happen for them to win in front of him? Holy crap.

Someone needs to start ryanmillersleftankle.com.

Caroline said...

I will pay the Sabres millions and put myself in a shitload of debt just so that they can get a win for Patty. Seriously, what has to happen for them to win in front of him? Holy crap.

Someone needs to start ryanmillersleftankle.com.


I know. I feel so bad for him. He always seems so upbeat in his interviews and then he plays great for us when Miller goes down, you just can't help but wanting the Sabres to win just for Patty's sake.

Maybe I'll launch it, and then I'll go to Ryan's house and be all, "As the founder of www.ryanmillersankle.com, I'd like to ask you and your left ankle a few questions..." I wonder how that would go down.

Shelby said...

I know. I feel so bad for him. He always seems so upbeat in his interviews and then he plays great for us when Miller goes down, you just can't help but wanting the Sabres to win just for Patty's sake

I could never be a goaltender because I would not have the patience with my team if they couldn't score goals for the longest time. Especially if I had been doing so well. This is why I want to be a forward next year in college, haha.

Caroline said...

I could never be a goaltender because I would not have the patience with my team if they couldn't score goals for the longest time. Especially if I had been doing so well. This is why I want to be a forward next year in college, haha.

I wonder if the players are embarrassed to face their goalie in the locker room after a game like that where they give him absolutely no support. I know I would be...

Shelby said...

I would be, too. I bet you have to be really tough to face the media after a loss like this, as well. Embarrassing.

Miller Fan In Arizona said...

"I wonder if the players are embarrassed to face their goalie in the locker room after a game like that where they give him absolutely no support. I know I would be..."

They should be embarrassed.

What do the guys always say? They try harder or something like that for Patty? Really? Because I haven't seen it the last few games.

I remember when my college team played this way. Things were very unpleasant to say the least.

Caroline said...

What do the guys always say? They try harder or something like that for Patty? Really? Because I haven't seen it the last few games.

I know. Sometimes their post-game interviews really annoy me. They never say anything of substance. They just let the clichés pour out. Of course there are players who are very insightful and I always appreciate their comments (Gaustad & Miller come to mind), but then others are just pointless....I'm looking at you, Derek.

Jill said...

Ankle-gate is KILLING me. KILLING me Caroline. UGH... I think we should have a sit in at the arena until we get an update... a REAL update... not one of those well there is no time table updates.

HOW IS THE ANKLE REALLY?

OMG... I feel so bad for Patty LALA. That poor guy cannot play any better. If he sits in the corner and sucks his thumb and rocks back and forth... I will not blame him at all.

It's OK LALA... we are mad at them too *angry eyes at the REST of the Sabres*

Caroline said...

Yes...they're being pretty quiet when it comes to Ryan's status and I think they should realize that Sabres fans are nosey and impatient. We want to know now. Not later, but NOW.

And I wonder how long Patty can remain upbeat and positive until the dude finally snaps. Hang in there, man.

Jill said...

I wonder if he snaps like Ryan snaps. We did see a bit of it when he broke his stick that night when they yanked Ryan and put him in... I miss Wild Eyed Ryan. *sign* Damn ankle... stupid Gomez... fricken Rangers... I think we're in 9th now... UGH now I'm all pissed off all over again. GRRR! That's it... I'm sneaking in his house and injecting him with cortisone shots while he is sleeping... I might need Cari's help with this... she is the nurse. I know where an ankle is.

Caroline said...

Oh yeah I forgot about Patty snapping his stick. I miss Ryan getting sassy when he's pissed off too. Oh I can't wait for the day when we're treated to some Miller sass again. I miss his sarcasm and eye rolls.

Yes, sadly we're in 9th place at the moment. Good luck on your rendezvous. We're all counting on you.

dani said...

I'm so glad you mentioned something about No Doubt. I've been DYING to see them again!

I will miss Max. He's been with us for sooo long! :(

Caroline said...

I'm so glad you mentioned something about No Doubt. I've been DYING to see them again!

I will miss Max. He's been with us for sooo long! :(


Yeah get your tickets! It should be a great time. I know how you feel about Max. Even though it's probably best for both the Sabres and Max for him to depart, I can't help but be a little attached to him because he's been with us for so long.