Sunday, November 23, 2008

What To Say...

So I was holding off until the end of the weekend to update in hopes that I'd be able to say, "Wow, what a great weekend for the Sabres to turn things around!" Unfortunately that's not the case. The Philadelphia game was obviously frustrating, getting shutout is not fun at all especially when you see all the chances your team had. To be honest I didn't watch the Islanders game that intently because my best friend who moved to Pittsburgh in the beginning of October came back home that night so I was at my friend's dorm with him. The game was on but there were distractions. From what I gathered from the game was that the Sabres played much better than they have been recently but unfortunately they got the same results. It's very frustrating but I don't care what people say I think this team is talented enough to be a real good team who can compete in the playoffs. I just hope they don't get too frustrated because as a fan it's very frustrating watching these games so I can only imagine what it's like for the players. Hang in there boys.

As I was saying my friend Scott came back to Buffalo yesterday for Thanksgiving and it was real nice hanging out with him again. We've been friends since middle school and he is just hilarious. We have the same bizarre sense of humor and it was nice to laugh with him again. He's missed Buffalo a lot so I thought it would be a good idea to go downtown to Rotary Rink today to ice skate and see Ryan Miller in all his glory. It was a lot of fun. Ryan went up to the ice and signed a lot of autographs and took pictures with fans. I was going to skate up to him and ask if he would do a triple axel on the ice with me but I wasn't sure if he would have been up for it. It didn't look like he was wearing a V-neck either which was surprising! He talked to the crowd later and he was funny. He was saying how he put his tree up and one year when he was living with Paul Gaustad they didn't take their tree down until March. He also says he likes going all out around the holidays and wears those embarrassing holiday sweaters. I'm pretty sure he was kidding, but that would be a sight to see.

The funniest part was after the festivities they were selling things inside, so I went to buy an ornament that benefits Ryan's Saves for Cancer campaign. Well I went to meet Scott outside the door and then Ryan comes out and there's a flock of girls following him giggling and whispering and Ryan looks over to Scott and I and jokingly says, "Save me..." Haha. Must be tough having ladies follow you around, eh Ryan? In all seriousness he's a good guy who's pretty modest so it's probably a little awkward...

He also updated his blog and let me say, kudos to his music selection. I just love the fact that he listens to The Raconteurs! They're one of my favorites as of late and I saw them over the summer at Lollapalooza in Chicago and they were great live. They're really neat and in some of their songs they have a folky, bluesy (I'm pretty sure I just invented a new word, "bluesy") vibe to their music. They were probably my second favorite act, behind Rage Against The Machine which I might say was the best live music performance I've ever seen. Anyways, he mentioned bands like The Smashing Pumpkins and Counting Crows...classics, ya know? Annddd he thinks he's getting old. Yes, being in your 20s is ancient, didn't you know? He even pulled the whole, "I liked this band before it become popular!" card. Really, Ryan? I see the Elmwood pretentiousness is getting to you. Pfffttt, give me a break. I'm only kidding! I know what he means though. I avoid the radio because it's so...narrow. Last summer my cousin thought I was from another planet when I told her I never heard the song Umbrella by Rihanna. I mean, I knew of the song, I just never heard it. I have listened to it since then, for the record.

I've decided to give myself an early break and I'm not going to any classes next week. Partially because Scott is in town for only a week and we have some serious catching up to do, and also because I am really drained from class and I could use the extra time to relax. I can't wait for this semester to be over.

Hopefully I can update this blog in the very near future celebrating a Sabres victory. Keep your heads up high, Sabres fans.

15 comments:

Jill said...

His blog entry cracked me up... Kings of Leon rawks!!! Almost every time hubby takes my truck... the CD is on... it drives him... um to quote you... batshit crazy. he he he. We have XM or shall I say XM/Sirius or is it Sirius/XM radio... who knows after the merger... so we often hear stuff ahead of the curve... if we are forced to listen to the radio they will brand new song from Silversun Pickups... and we look at each other like what??? That was like seriously a year ago or more. It's an annoying song anyway.

Glad you had fun at the tree lighting! I wish I could have gone! I hope he gets his question thing working on his blog... Cait would be thrilled to be able to ask her questions... LMAO!

Caroline said...

Yeah I don't really listen to the radio but I've heard the song Paper Planes by M.I.A. around in stores and stuff, which is so weird to me because she's always been an "underground" musician. I guess when your song is in a trailer of a summer movie, you're no longer conisdered underground anymore haha.

That would be so cute. I'd love to see what his answers are to her questions haha. Hopefully he'll enable that soon, even though he says he's hesitant to because of people posting nasty comments. Yikes...people get whacky and say bad things after a Sabres loss. I can see them coming on his blog and um..."venting".

Jay said...

Just so you know, I too love KoL... and 'Sex on Fire', just heard it about 12 thousand times that one weekend!! And MIA is awesome especially Piracy Funds Terrorism!!

Caroline said...

Kings of Leon are good, I sort of forgot about them...I haven't listened to them in awhile.

Yeah, M.I.A. is awesome. Piracy Funds Terrorism is a good one. I hope she puts out a new album. I love how her music has such political themes, yet they sound like songs you'd hear at a club. Her songs sound like songs you'd just want to dance to but when you hear the lyrics they're pretty deep and profund. She's great!

Jay said...

MIA got me started on a UK Garage, Grime, Dub Step kick. My latest favorite has to be The Streets. Them and Jabba Tha Kut...

...I know Jill, I'm a dork...

Jael said...

You so should have asked him to do a triple axle with you. Ahahahahahaha. That would have made my life, and I wouldn't have even been there. =P

Caroline said...

I was going to ask him to do a triple axel with me and then pick me up and twirl me in the air like the professionals do. He probably would have said no in fear of me being the ~star of the night~ and stealing his thunder.

Shelby said...

I always thought Ryan had a fabulous choice in music selection. I bet road trips are fun with him if he picks the music!

I can see him and Goose leaving up a Christmas tree until March, too. Haha, I bet that is a really funny sight to see in person.

I know the Sabres will be able to get things going so. In the past two games they've been getting better, so I have a good feeling for Wednesday.

Jill said...

Jay I am willing to bet that you and him have the same music selections... music weirdo... LOL! anyway... yes the tree thing is hysterical... we talked about that last night. OK how lazy is that? I am even surprised they put up a tree! Most guys don't bother. OK I have a link you guys to watch... this is hysterical... when you said he was talking about wearing embroidered sweaters I thought of this...

http://gem.space150.com/

Cari said...

I was going to skate up to him and ask if he would do a triple axel on the ice with me but I wasn't sure if he would have been up for it.

If you learn one thing, and one thing only, from me, dear, it would be do go with your instincts when approaching the Sabres. Otherwise, you may regret it. AKA YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE IT. He'd have found it funny, just like my whole encounter with Drew... =]

Caroline said...

Yes, I'd love to look through Ryan's iPod and see what else he has in his music selection.

Haha he was saying he wasn't sure if he was keeping the tree up because of laziness or because he gets sad when they take it down because he likes the way it looks.

Haha I feel you Cari. I should have asked him to show off his figure skating skillz. Oh well. I'm sure there will be plenty of other times when I get to ask Ryan to twirl me in the air on ice skates.....

dani said...

That's what bugs me about people who don't like Ryan Miller. He just comes off as such a good guy. When people don't respect him, at least for that, it's irritating.

Also my cousin went to college with Ryan and she saw him at a bar but she didn't talk to him because she didn't want to be one of those "giggling girls." haha I don't blame her... ("Save Me" = too funny!)

Caroline said...

Yeah, I've even heard some people say that he thinks he's a jerk which is ridiculous because he's probably the most down to earth player I've ever met.

Aw she should have talked to him, he's easy to talk to and I'm sure he'd appreciate having a conversation with a girl who isn't just giggling the whole time haha.

Rachael said...

I think my favorite part of his speech was "YEAH THE GOOSE! Big Goose. Tall Goose." LoL

R

Caroline said...

I think my favorite part of his speech was "YEAH THE GOOSE! Big Goose. Tall Goose." LoL

Definitely! He was speaking so affectionately of his buddy.

I also enjoyed when he talked about his Christmas sweaters. Oh, how I'd love to see that.