Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Nation Has Spoken (and some hockey players too)

So the Sabres don't play until Friday, so I figured I'd talk a little bit about that tiny little election that went down.


Ryan Miller cares about his country. More on him in a second...

Well, November 4th, 2008 came and went. And we have our new President-Elect. I just want to say, whoever you voted for, I hope you felt great voting and taking part in such a historic election. Just to see how the nation reacted and how involved everyone was. Watching the celebrations after Obama was announced the winner was surreal. Just to see people of various backgrounds and demographics coming together and celebrating what is to believed a much needed change. I guess it was just refreshing to see so many people caring so much about such an important issue. You see that type of celebration on city streets when a sports championship is won, or after a huge music festival. But an election? I am proud. This election has moved people, and I hope it doesn't fade. As I grow older I realize how important it is to stay involved. People can become so jaded with society and politcs, and that's understandable. But I just think it's ignorant to totally ignore it all together and act like it doesn't affect you. Because it does. You should care. You should want to be involved. I hope this election will help move this nation into the right direction, in so many different ways.

Anyways, since this is a hockey blog, I guess I should tie in a Sabres reference in here somehow. Well, thanks to Amy over at Shots Off The Crossbar, she pointed me to where some of our favorite (American) Sabres weighed in on the election. Poor Kaleta. Not too impressed with his answer. Sigh. Not much to comment on except that he didn't vote. I won't hold it against you, Patty. But I wish you would have voted.

But I have to tip my hat to Mr. Miller. I am impressed by his comments. Not only is he incredibly articulate and smart when it comes to talking about hockey, but he's pretty damn intellectual when he's talking about politics. Well, he didn't really talk much about the politics per se, but his thoughts on the election were pretty spot on, in my opinion. Seems like he saw it the way I did, and obviously that means he's basically a genius. Only kidding, but not really. I think it's safe to say that Ryan Miller is a very smart man, and not when it just comes to analyzing hockey. Good for you, Ryan! You scholar athlete, you! Maybe you could take little Patrick Kaleta under your wing and guide him so he can be more involved? Yes? You're always giving back to the community, so I think you should help a brotha out.

Anyways...enough of that serious election stuff. Just wanted to have some final thoughts on it before we return back to simplier, happier things like the great game of hockey. I don't think hockey (or sports in general) and politics should mix, but in a historic election like this, I think it's okay to make an exception.

13 comments:

Rachael said...

Yesterday was such a great day! I watched Obama's speech last night and cried my eyes out.

Caroline said...

Yesterday was such a great day! I watched Obama's speech last night and cried my eyes out.
It was inspiring seeing how many people were moved by Obama's victory. Something I won't be able to understand fully, as I am not a minority. But you could just feel a little bit of what they must have felt, just by seeing how emotional they were.

Jael said...

Well, at least Kaleta was honest. Hahaha.

And it sounds from his comments like Miller voted for McCain (I mean, "It would've been nice to see what he had"..... yeah haha) but didn't really care about the outcome either way.

Also I didn't vote because my vote in the general election in New York is pointless as long as NYC is attached to the state. I'm excited to vote in the primaries next time around, though. =P

Jael said...

Something I won't be able to understand fully, as I am not a minority.

Due to the influx of Mexicans, by the year 2050 we WILL be minorities (some say by 2040, but... well, it'll DEFINITELY be by 2050). Then you'll get to experience what it's like. =P Hahaha.

...Yeah. It's like 2:00 in the morning and I have nothing better to do but to think, "OH! WAIT! Caroline WILL get to understand in her lifetime! *goes to blog*"

Sleep is overrated.

Caroline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Caroline said...

Haha when I read his comments I'm like, "Looks like he voted for Obama." because he said he thought the Republicans failed and how he didn't like the Bush Administration. Then I re-read them and he's like, "Oh wait, he voted for McCain." because he said it would've been nice to see what he had.

Irregardless who he voted for, at least he was a well-informed voter. Maybe it was best that Kaleta didn't vote since he doesn't seem very bright when it came to the election. That's why I proposed that Miller should guide him haha. :D

Jill said...

Definitely sounds like he did his research... He seems to be a thinker...

Caroline said...

He seems to be a thinker...
Definitely. Good for him.

Shelby said...

Obama's victory completely moved me. Considering I'm 17, I kept saying I could care less about everything going on with the election because I couldn't vote, but I stayed up for his speech. I watched the Chicago convention online when they announced Obama had won. I watched various interviews on how people felt. So many people were involved in this election, and for once, I'm proud to be an American.

Ryan seems so smart. I would love to have a down to Earth conversation with him about life, just to get inside his head a little.

Caroline said...

I was at Grant Park (where Obama's victory was celebrated) in August for the music festival Lollapalooza, and the atmosphere looked exactly like it did in August. That's something to say.

I've talked to him a few times but not about anything really ~serious~, but he's real easy to talk to. But yeah he seems very smart and someone worth while to have a meaningful conversation with.

Jael said...

Haha when I read his comments I'm like, "Looks like he voted for Obama." because he said he thought the Republicans failed and how he didn't like the Bush Administration. Then I re-read them and he's like, "Oh wait, he voted for McCain." because he said it would've been nice to see what he had.

Hahaha, I know, at first I thought Obama, too, as I was reading, but as soon as I got to that statement, I just laughed, because he kept saying how he wasn't going to say whom he voted for.... and then TOTALLY gave it away right there. Disenfranchised Republicans who are pissed off at them the last 2-3 years FTW!

If I could vote in primaries in NY as an independent, I wouldn't register with either party. =( Stupid rules. I used to like the Republican party. Now... not so much. The politicians of both parties seem to be complete idiots in recent years (more so than politicians usually are), straying more and more from.... something intangible.

Caroline said...

The political parties divide this country I think. I think a lot of people are more focused on their party than the actual candidates and the issues, which is a shame. I'm a registered Democrat, but I will not soley vote for democrats just because that's what I'm registered as.

I also don't like the negative connotations that go along with each party. But....this is a whole other topic in itself. I'm not going to go there haha. Not here at least. ;)

Jill said...

I also would like to kick back with Ryan, have a few drinks and pick his brain. Seems like he'd be a good person to do that with.