Friday, April 8, 2011

Appreciation Day

Just some random thoughts about the team's final home game of the regular season/fan appreciation day...

- I was pleasantly surprised and stoked that Miller was voted team MVP by the players themselves. A lot of fans would consider his season disappointing, and I understand those sentiments and agree to an extent. He didn't have the season he had last year, that's for sure and he didn't play as great as he's capable of in some games. But he was also apart of the team's great turnaround. That shouldn't go unnoticed. He wasn't the only player who started off the year poorly. They all did (yes, even Vanek!), and it reflected.

Some fans/media members disagree that he was chosen, but I think I hold the players' opinion on who should be the team MVP higher than the fans' or media's opinions. Fans and media see the player on the ice. Players see their teammates on the ice, in the locker room, on the road, etc. There is a lot that goes on "behind closed doors" that can attribute to being considered a team MVP, and I think the players would know that more than any fan or media member. So congratulations, Miller!!

And to those who don't agree with it, well...



- Speaking of the awards, I was glad that McCormick won unsung hero and Ennis won rookie of the year. Both great choices, and I love that the Sabres have implemented these awards at the end of the season. I'm sure it's fun for the players and it's definitely fun for the fans.

- The pre-game ceremony was an excellent idea and so much fun for everyone. Fans spanning from all generations were all excited to see their favorit players from their respective eras. It must have been a blast for all the alumni to come back into town and see everyone. My mom works at the hotel where all the alumni were staying, and she said that the guys were having a ball in the lobby seeing everyone arrive.

- I thought it was a great touch to have Joe Crozier walk out with Rene Robert and Gilbert Perreault holding Rick Martin's jersey when they were bringing out all the alumni out on the ice.

- Lindy putting Miller into the 3rd was an awesome move. He was just awarded team MVP, and we were trailing in the 3rd. Not saying Enroth deserved to be benched, but sometimes your team needs a spark and a goaltender change is usually the best way to do. Props to Lindayyyyy.

- Gerbe is da man. And should have asked for a congratulatory head pat from Carcillo.

- Seeing both teams just standing around waiting for the overtime was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen. But it was awesome.

- Miller on the ice after the game pumping up the crowd was one of the best things I've ever seen. I don't think I've ever seen him so happy!

- PLAYOFFS BABY! Tickets go onsale Monday. :)

No comments: