Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I Wanna Rock

As I mentioned in my previous post, the press conference for Catwalk for Charity was coming up, and today Ryan Miller announced this year's event and reminded us why it's such a fun event for a great cause.

The theme for this year's event is "A Reason To Rock" and it will be dedicated to the spirit of the 70s and the 80s. I'm definitely looking forward for rocking my Run DMC t-shirt with acid wash skinny jeans and fingerless lace gloves...it's going to be pretty bitchin'.

If you've never attended, I highly suggest that you do... It's just one big party and there are really cool auction items up for grabs and a bunch of hockey players wandering around and strutting their stuff on the catwalk.

I'm sure most of you are aware that it's the annual fundraiser for Ryan's Steadfast Foundation and it's also to help raise awarness of cancer and to get people to go out and get involved in their community. After attending Catwalk for Charity year in and year out, I started volunteering at Roswell Park once a week and I also help out at events for Carly's Club. It's been a rewarding experience and I'm so glad that I'm doing it. I'm a proud Buffalonian so I'm glad that I can give back to my community in some way. Volunteering at Roswell has also lead me into new interests that I didn't have before, which has been awesome.

So if you can, I really hope you make it out to this year's event...it's a perfect night for any Sabres fan and you can feel good that you're supporting Ryan's foundation and a great cause all at the same time!

Another exciting thing about hockey season starting again besides the actual hockey of course, is... Ryan Miller interviews! I forget how much I miss his insight during the offseason, so I was glad to read this interview he did with NHL.com. One of my favorite parts of the interview is what he said about Darcy's activity during the offseason:

Yeah … you don't just tear everything apart because we didn't get what we wanted in the playoffs. We put a lot of hard work in and it was a culmination of a lot of years of work. We had some good runs a few years ago. We had some down years that really led to a good year last year. We have to get to that point, and sometimes things don't go your way. I think that I'd rather learn the lessons and come back with the same group than be a part of team that doesn't show any patience. Sometimes you have to go through tough things in order to improve and be better. We had our fair share of success last year, but the end was definitely frustrating. You grow from that and learn from that.
I think fans have a tendency to be too impatient and too reactionary when it comes to sports. I know Darcy isn't always the most popular guy in Buffalo, but I think it's common for a sports organization's management to be pretty unpopular in their respective cities... But I think fans need to realize that making the "right" moves isn't as always black and white and simple as the video games, fantasy leagues, and sports columnists make them out to be. I also think that "blowing it up" isn't usually the answer either. I know what it's like to be frustrated and fed up, and I know a lot of fans believe that their favorite sports team "owes" them a championship, but building a championship winning team takes time, and if you go out and get rid of everything that you've worked for over the past several years, I just don't see how that's going to be your answer to a quick Cup. But what do I know...

Well I think that's enough insight out of me for today. It feels good blogging again... I know my posts have been few and far between, but I'm really going to try and post more frequently again. I know for sure that I'll post about going to the game on Saturday, and hopefully I'll take some nice pictures as well.

No comments: